Interviews

I was recently appointed to the board of a Tertiary Student Scholarship Trust and as such now have the task of interviewing potential recipients of small, but not insubstantial amounts of money that will hopefully make their life at University 'easier'.

What was astonishing was the in-experience of the candidates in both presenting themselves well for the interview and also the content of their application. Part of the process of the scholarship is to provide a medium for candidates to learn about how interviews work and the preparation required however for a simple scholarship application the majority of candidates left a lot to be desired.

If I thought I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, then please help the candidates! I'm not aiming to be critical of those who applied. Those who have come to ask for assistance clearly are in need over and above those who have their life under control. I am probably being more critical of their support networks and education. With proper guidance the simple things could be avoided.

Some tips:
- Be on time
- Complete the application fully and to the best of your ability
- Be honest
- Relax, the interviewers are there to help and offer assistance. If anything the interview is all about getting to know the candidate past their application.

No comments: