The Grey-Haired effect

I was pondering this morning about the power of grey hair. I use the term grey hair to reference experienced businessmen / businesswomen who probably have been around for a while and perhaps have grey hair. The colour of their hair is actually not important because further thought brings me to thought that many probably no longer have hair at all.

Anyway, I was thinking about credibility and respect gained by being older and potentially having more experience to give advice. I was contemplating new, young graduates who take positions in powerful consulting roles, whether they be law or management consulting and what confidence they give the company or person they are advising.

From the viewpoint of neuro-marketing (Buyology and other books) there are two situations:

The young person
- Conveys youthful energy
- New perspectives
- High risk, high return
- Bright upstart

The grey hair
- Conveys experience
- Wise-owl image
- Conservatism
- Contacts and Networks
- Track record

So, when a large corporation engages a firm to provide advice, what are they expecting and what is seen as value for money? I propose a balance of both. Considering I don't have any experience with these firms, I assume this is the case. The grey-hair factor is critical while this balanced with energy gives great value for money to the client.

No comments: