Food in Turin

As you may or may not know, although i'm not a great cook I love food particularly Italian Food. It's simple, it's packed with energy and I reckon it tastes great.

It's just that the tomotoes taste so much better. I mean, I don't think i've ever eaten anything so jam packed with sweetness. Although on the outside the tomatoes look a bit bashed up they are super juicey inside and sweet.

Travis showed me the Torino markets and I have been there everyday since. They are open every morning til 2pm, all day Saturday but not Sunday. You can buy just about anything. There are large stalls for fruit and vege outside while inside you can get as many cuts of meat, cheese and bread as you like! Like all central markets the energy of the people is great. It's a shame there is no where to sit and enjoy - Lucia's style - it's strictly business.

Travis and Em also told me that food doesn't last long. This is annoying but a great sign that it's fresh and chemical free. I shortened my expectations but even then, yesterday I had so smash some food to get in before it went off!

My missions to the markets are usually to get some bread and vegetables. Along the way I have been trying little nibbles particularly the italian sweets. The Cannoli's are yum!

My effort has been put into learning how to bake italian good. Tonight I tried the Focaccia and I must say I think I have had some success. By following a website www.theartisans.net I have been able to get closer. I'd love an italian baker to show me but with limited language and the fact that their food must be pretty 'trade secret' I don't like my chances!

The pizza's here are -as you would expect- amazing but again I want to learn how they get the dough so thin yet so firm. The other specialty of Torino is Risotto. Apparently they grow a huge amount of rice in the area as they have lots of sun and plenty of water from the mountains. Katherine has offered to teach me Risotto better than the Torinese although the one I had on Friday night was pretty good!

After focaccia is another attempt at pizza dough then I might move onto sweets!

No comments: