Merry Christmas

I'm currently on the plane flying to London. It sounds great - flying Zurich to London! But I can assure that the circus continues with delayed planes, stressed people and crying babies everywhere!

As we cross the channel, I look out to snow covered field; the white plains puncuated only by trees and delineated by fences. It's my second time to the UK and again it's going to be freezing. Lucky i'm prepared this time...

If I look back to what has happened in the last 12 months, it was quite an up-rooting from the past few years. Finishing at Palmerston - meant a loss of income, finishing my time at the boatshed meant a loss of connection to a sporting community and preparing for an MBA in a foreign country have all meant a change in mentality and perspective; hopefully for the better! In many respects my ambition and energies have reduced in favour of finding something to focus on. This reads strangely but it has not been easy to try to convert energy to focus! While doing a general business degree might not seem like a focusing mechansim it serves as an interuption to the past when I was 'generally doing stuff' - whatever came up over the past 10 years. The intention being, now, to lock in a career direction. As it stands today that direction could be anything. Not helpful! I do feel confident that by September I will have some more clarity on the situation. With new friends, hopefully still a strong connection with old friends(!), further insight into business, an ability to communicate in German and new perspectives on my place in the world 2010 is going to be a great year. I feel a bit of a leech at the moment relying heavily on family and friends but take the view that in the long run I can give back much more than I take - if I focus!

I am very lucky to be able to spend Christmas with friends. Christmas is always a hectic time finishing a year, rushing to have a break and then catching up with everyone. Other than transit on Christmas eve I get to enjoy being in one spot for a white Christmas. The plans for the coming week is to see a bit of Oxford and the area as well as try to meet up with friends in London. I fly home (Mannheim home) on the 2nd to get ready for an big second term (i'll be under no disillisions about the workload ahead!

With all of the stories from my end I conclude with wishing each of you a marvellous, enjoyable and restful Christmas and look forward to speaking, emailing and or Skyping with you when will be a prosperous New Year! ~ Oest

No comments: