Gloomy Train Ride

As I hopped on the train in Mannheim, the sun had not yet risen. I was Paris bound and very excited about this part of the adventure. The only thing that worried me was that it had started drizzling as we crossed the Rhine France-ward. For the first hour it was raining heavily outside. While most others slept on the ICE I was reading the Financial Times (in German!) and the New York Times. I was reading to take my eyes away from the dreary conditions outside. As we crossed into Saarbrucken the rain cleared. This is where all those on the train were treated to a spectacular light display as the rays of sunshine broke through the clouds and decorated the countryside with golden highlighting. The first and only thing I have seen of France to date is the the Cot d' Azur and parts of the provence. Here further north the land is greener and more agricultural. The sun highlighted the beauty of organised agriculture magnificantly. Moreover whenever a small village or farm house came into site the lovely french countryside really came to life contrasted against the grey background. It was very inspiring morning and subsequently wants me to spend more time here when possible.

No comments: