Goldman Sachs / Deutsche Bank

On Tuesday and Thursday respectively after class this week we had presentations by Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank. Luckily for me the Goldman presentation was taken in English meaning I understood what was going on and got a great insight into how they have structured their investment bank. We were given a little insight into the Financial Crisis but GS faired so relatively well that they weren't too concerned with the situation! I had a good chat to the recruiting officer after giving me confidence in the job market for when I graduate next year.

The Deutsche Bank presentation on the other hand was held in German. I think I understood about a third of what was going on! Rainer Neske, the Global Manager of Private Wealth, spoke about a variety of things but gave a good insight into the market. He fielded some hot questions about banks which I thought he handled well. I can't imagine it would be too much fun fielding questions from pesky finance and business undergrad students! The Deutsche Bank presentation ended with a great 'meet and greet' session in the foyer. There are so many aspects to a bank's structure as I learnt with Goldmans and again with Deutsche. Although speaking with the Investment Bankers was, I had a really interesting chat with the inhouse consulting group. Not only was she a lovely person, but got me very excited about that area of the banking industry. I will look to apply for some summer positions and also for their graduate programs at the respective banks. I look forward to getting as much insight from a variety of organisations (not just Finance) over the coming months. I plan to keep making things hard for myself by leaving most decisions open for as long as possible with regard to industry.

No comments: