LOL

LOL, standing for "Laugh Out Loud" is a terrible blight on the English language used often in sms, twittering and Facebook.

I'm still trying to understand Germans and Germany and in particular why there are not openly loud at celebrating or being proud of their wonderful country. On the whole, Germans are very good as being openly negative but not as good at being openly positive. This is a generalisation and not reflective of perhaps the intense following of sport (eg soccer!) but an observation nonetheless. I've seen it at the supermarkets, i've seen it with MBA related instances and i've seen it on the faces of people walking the streets of Germany.

LOL came into my head the other day because I was somewhat taken aback hearing roaringly loud laughter in the street from a group of German's having a beer at a cafe in town. It was just so unusual to hear open hearty laughter! I have no idea what they were talking about and their level of intoxication not that it mattered anyway.

Germany is a great country and is a role-model to the rest of the world. Although they have had a relatively volatile history over the past century (not that I pretend at all to understand it or neigh-say it) as time heels wounds of past/recent events Germany probably feels more able to express itself and I hope this infiltrates exponentially through the population as soon as possible!

Again, this is a generalisation and an observation. I hope i'm wrong and I keep hearing more laughter in the street!

No comments: