Oberstdorf

I've pulled up quite well from skiing actually. I'm being fed silly here at Fredy's place in Neresheim but never complain about food! In fact because they are a French family, it's cheeses, wines and all things good.

Yesterday was a great day. It's been snowing here quite a bit so travelling is slow. However once i'd hired some skis and we were on the slopes the speed picked up! I'm no skier and so was more of a liability to myself and those around me. I came very close a few times to running over a few kids. Luckily the slopes weren't too busy. I had some great crashes for Fredy's benefit. He loved it. I'm glad I provided the entertainment without breaking myself. He has skiied there often and is a great skier so I think it was nice but a little boring. Some patches were very icy but on the whole the snow was pretty good. Fred gave me some pointers and I think I improved throughout the day. I need a couple weeks more skiing and i'll be a gun! Considering i've only done 4 days skiing in my life and came home in one piece I did ok!

We skiied at a place called Fellhorn, near the village of Oberstodorf. It's right on the southern border of Germany to Austria. We literally went from Germany to Austria as we went around the ski area! The views from the top were superb. There was a layer of cloud about half way up the mountains so above that we were in sunlight - and actually got a little bit sunbburnt! Also a novelty! Because it was a Friday there weren't too many people on the slopes or waiting for the lift or waiting for lunch (it meant I could eat my Leberknoedelsupppe in peace!).

After the lifts closed (4:30) we skiied all the way down, or in my case, skiied, crashed, skiied, crashed etc all the way down for a beer at a snow bar. Happy days!

No comments: